Hockey Chart

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

My Top Five Games Called

A few weeks ago I attended the UCO hockey banquet and I was able to say my final farewells to the team. As I gave a short speech to the players and coaches, I ran through some of my favorite games to be a part of. Looking back on all the games I've called as the, self-proclaimed, "Voice of the Bronchos" there are a few that really stick out. These are my top five:

5. Sweep of Arizona State in 2011
Fighting for a playoff spot, the Bronchos needed wins against powerhouse and top ten foe Arizona State. The Sundevils swaggered into Edmond, Okla. like they owned the place but the Bronchos were the better team that weekend. UCO played two of the most complete games I've seen out of them and posted a 3-2 and 4-1 win.

4. Ohio Shootout
The Bronchos were facing a top ten opponent in Ohio in 2008. It was my first season with the Bronchos and my first call of a hockey shootout. I was unclear about some of the rules so it was a little shaky on my end. But I got the hang of it. Brian Thompson ended up scoring the winner on a beautiful top shelf play and UCO beat Ohio 4-3 in a shootout to strengthen the odds for their first ever playoff berth.

3. The Comeback
Very few games in real life turnout like something out of a Hollywood production. But the Bronchos' comeback against Penn State in the quarterfinals of the national playoffs was a thing of beauty. Penn State scored first at 2:12 of the opening period. Senior goaltender Justin Sgro recovered and turned away chance after chance by the Nittany Lions. The two massive crowds of fans of each team roared and cheered but everyone went silent when Nick Novak took the shot heard round the ACHA. Novak tied the game with just 1:29 left on the clock. Penn State was stunned and the Bronchos tasted blood. Jonathan Cannizzo scored 1:42 into the overtime period and the Bronchos moved on to the frozen four for the first time in school history with a 2-1 win over No. 2 Penn State.

2. First Round Thriller
My first experience of college playoff hockey came in the first round of the tournament last year when the rival Sooners took on UCO in a game that lived up to the hype. The goals were traded back and forth for much of the game before regulation ended in a 5-5 tie. The Bronchos had a large supporting cast in Chicago, IL cheering them on. The overtime period was dominated by the Sooners but the Bronchos kept with them, largely because of the outstanding play of goaltender Justin Sgro. The game went to double overtime, the Bronchos scored, the moment will last a lifetime.

1. Sooner Beatdown
I have nothing personal against OU. But broadcasting for their rivals the Bronchos can make me bias at times. I had never called a home win against OU in three years in the booth. It was senior night for the Bronchos and my last home game to call. The Bronchos stomped the Sooners 5-0 and I was treated to one of my best calls ever. It was a great night.

No comments:

Post a Comment